greening in the city center of Leeuwarden
Beestreet is a project that focuses on the greening of inner cities for people and bees, the reduction of heat stress, rainwater storage and it is especially about a cozy city!
BeeStreet was launched in 2018 as part of Smart Leeuwarden: a project in which smart cooperation is paramount for innovation and a pleasant living environment. In 2018, the activities focused on the area around the Blokhuispoort and Oosterstraten. With this sequel, we focus on the area around the Ruiterskwartier, Zaailand and Wilhelminaplein.
Changing city centres
The need for measures against flooding and heat stress comes at the same time as the change process that inner cities undergo. The city centre of Leeuwarden is transformed from a place to buy to a place to b (e) e. Visitors increasingly come to the city centre for recreational purposes.
Have a nice stay
For a quick, targeted purchase, we often go online or to a neighbourhood shopping centre. We visit the city centre to go out, for a combination of hospitality, retail, culture and/or an event. We want to experience something there, feel comfortable and safe, meet people there and enjoy ourselves.
Not only is greening necessary for environmental reasons, but also for a favourable economic future for the city centre. It is one of the elements that will ensure economic vitality.
The cities are becoming more and more petrified and we have to deal more with heavy rainfall. Since 1950, the number of days with heavy rain – where 50 millimetres or more rain falls – has doubled and it will increase. Due to fossilisation in cities, rainwater cannot sink into the ground and the sewer must drain all the water, thereby draining the sewer systems.
To prevent this, we want to retain part of the rainwater for use in greening the cities. This way, we can solve another problem at the same time, namely heat stress.The rainwater that is stored can be used during hot and dry days to water the greenery in the city. Especially in places where plants are not in the open ground, but in planters and areas with bee-friendly planting, for example. With the planting, we also hope to achieve more biodiversity in the city so that wild bees and birds hopefully return to our city centre.
Design Pressure Cooker (DPC) with House of Design
During previous conversations with entrepreneurs and residents, design questions were formulated that were worked out in the DPC. Residents and entrepreneurs want ‘something green’ on their façade. Something that is easy to install and fits according to the regulations of the municipality. House of Design supervises the circular design sessions. Together with Verhoeve Groen, we oversee the process where a producer is commissioned to carry out the designs a.
- meetings residents and entrepreneurs
- Design Pressure Cooker to arrive at innovative and sustainable solutions
- meet and eat area
- greening party with students- MossArt
- graffiti with moss
- façade gardens
- Harvest Festival
When: April 2017 – Dec 2021
Partners: Association Promotion Zaailand,
Business association De Oosterstraten, Foundation Inner city management Leeuwarden, Municipality of Leeuwarden, Verhoeve Groen, District panel Inner city residents and various residents
Financial support: Municipality of Leeuwarden
- "3D printing starts with 3D thinking. That motivates me to use 3D in my lessons. Not only the tool, but what it adds to teaching in general. My students help me with this."Brit Iren Hetland Haavik, Vagen, Sandness (Norway)
- The Beestreet has inspired us enormously and we like our customers, visitors and residents to also get a greener environment. Green is good for you!Ciska BlaauwbroekVereniging Promotie Zaailand
- 'Innovation is a necessary condition for economic growth. Design is inseperable from innovation. House of Design can play an important role in this proces. Especially because House of Design combines design with entrepreneurship. The other key part of innovation.'Simon Tijsma - Provincie Friesland
- 'A real challenge for me as designer, to research what c2c material is suitable and how I can use it in product design'Melle Kootdesigner
- 'That's the power of the pressure cooker, eventually you'll get there!'GeertFarmer
- We are happy with this assignment. This enables us to make the vision and working method of the Local Making Place in the Waddenland visible and tangible.Eileen Blackmore